Updates for the 2022-2023 Academic Year:
Research assistant applications for the Fall 2022 term are now CLOSED.
Read below to find out how you can apply to be a part of the lab in the future!
To apply, please send the following three documents to the Lab Manager, Ronnie Li, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Current CV
- Unofficial transcripts (screenshot of SSC grades is sufficient)
- Application Form
Please ensure that you enclose all three documents in your email to Kiarah, as she will not be able to forward your application on to the graduate students until all required documents are received. If you have any questions about this process please email Kiarah, as she handles ALL research assistant inquiries.
Basic Information about RA Positions:
- Typically, the majority of our undergraduate research assistants start at the beginning of each term and before the summer.
- Each student must have a GPA of 76% + to apply.
- Each student must be able to contribute 6-8 hours per week.
- The tasks you will be given will depend on the nature of the project you are assigned to (i.e., run and debrief participants, assist with field experiments, enter data, etc.).
I don’t currently go to UBC (i.e. I go to a different university). Can I still apply?
Yes! We’ve had several students from other universities volunteer in the lab, just make sure to include your grades/transcripts from the courses you’ve taken at the other institution.
Can I still apply if I am here on exchange?
Yes! Make sure to include your transcripts in your application with the necessary conversion scales and translations.
The application form asks for GPA, but my grades are listed in a different format (letter grades, percentages etc). How should I list my grades on the application form?
Many schools will have conversion scales available to students (i.e. here is UBC’s). If there is a scale available, include it in your application, otherwise list the grade format that you are provided by your institution and we’ll try our best to figure it out!
I don’t have the minimum grade requirement listed on the lab website. Can I still apply?
Yes, you can still apply. Other factors are taken in to consideration when evaluating applications such as extracurricular experience and grade progression.
I’m currently halfway between years (i.e. I’ve taken a few courses as a [third] year). Do I include the average of the courses I’ve taken for that year as well, or only the averages for completed years?
Write down the average for completed years on the application form and we will be able to see the grades for the courses in the year you are currently completing on your provided transcript. If you do want to include an average for your current year, make a note on the application form that you are still in that current year to avoid any confusion.
What students have said about working in the lab:
- “People in this lab know what they are doing and they have passion for this area and great commitment. There are lots of different studies and people are always busy and time here is fulfilling and worthwhile.” (Cong Li, 4th Year Biology/Psychology Major)
- “This is my first experience with coding, and handing out surveys. The lab meetings were also new to me and it was great to be able to contribute ideas! I enjoyed the large group meetings very much.” (Claire Lam, 4th Year Psychology)
Students in the News:
- 4th Year psychology student Ashley Whillans was recently featured in Arts Wire for the research she conducted as part of her honours research requirements during the 2011-2012 academic year. (Here)